I’m a big fan of balancing academic reading with reading for fun.
A few of my favorite books (in no particular order):
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi – A powerful, moving book about slavery and its legacy told through a unique narrative structure.
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty – They say if you only read one Western book, this is the one to read. It’s a long book, but well worth it.
- Anxious People by Fredrik Backman – As good as the hype.
- The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz – A story of colonial Egypt that is less about plot and more about people. Mahfouz would go on to win the Nobel Prize.
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon – A book about a book, combining mystery and romance and the political intrigue of Spain after its Civil War.
If you have other recommendations, feel free to contact me! I’m always looking to add to my queue.